Monday 11 February 2008

THE CABLES

Thinking about the cable situation in Mediterranean Sea and the consequent internet disruptions in Middle East and India( BBC ) reminded me of situation when my father accidentally shut out half of the municipality from cable TV. He was closing behind in the hunters lounge when he saw a cable that he didn't know what it was for. So he just plugged it out. It took a whole day for cable people to find out the cause of the malfunction. Fortunately for my father the eager soap and sport fans didn't find out at all.

This brings me back to the net - I realized that it is still extremely embedded into offline reality - cutting two cables and everything goes crazy in India and Middle East! It made me wondering about the fragility of our real world which depends on the net so much.

Well... I have to chase off my apocalyptic nightmares and have faith in the system. Back to the PhD! ( Still, will it do me any good in case of cables being shut down permanently? Probably not, but in that case neither will most of my education or anything else for that matter - raising goats sounds a much better solution).

No comments: