Tuesday 3 June 2008

I'm back

Hopefully this time without such a long break (yeah, yeah - like one of the new years resolutions).
What have I been up to? Mostly working. On my PhD proposal, on the Civicweb interviews with the producers, before that on the paper with Nick on methods for researching YouTube for the Web2.0 conference.

1. PhD proposal - I finally sent in the the "damn thing" (as my dear friend Janne would say). I am not sure wheater I am pleased with it or not, but I suppose it is a base to start working on. I discovered that I became overwhlemed with literture on globalisation - at the begining it all seemed much too much, but now I can't stop reading. Especially I suggest:
Hay (2007). Why we hate politics? Really, really excelent book.

2. Civicweb interviews with producers of sites - not quite finished yet.

3. Paper with Nick on how to research content on YouTube at Politics Web 2.0 Conference - it opened a Pandora's box of questions I have to find answers to in the next couple of months: How to sample - which topic to choose? What's up with videos - are pictures for ex. rational argumentation? What about the language - if I am already studying international or global publics, is English really enough? And all great participation numbers! Number of visits, number of posts, number of ratings and most importantly number of hits from other online sources? Are they really an indicator of "publicness" in terms of public consequences? Loads of work still awaits!

No comments: